Views:13 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2021-01-07 Origin:Site
Beer brewing requires four raw materials: barley, hops, yeast and water. The quality of these raw materials determines the quality of beer. Understanding the characteristics of these four raw materials and their influence on the process is the basis for their processing. Only in this way can the process control be targeted.
Barley is the main raw material for beer brewing. Barley is used because it has more starch content. At the same time, from barley threshing to malt processing, the barley skin is always attached to the malt, which can form the necessary filter layer in the subsequent production process. Before brewing, the barley must be processed into malt.
The quality of the barley purchased greatly affects the quality of malt and beer.When buying barley, it is necessary to evaluate the quality of barley to check whether the quality meets the requirements.
The selection of barley is mainly based on the variety and growing area of the barley. In addition to the quick inspection when the barley is supplied, the sensory inspection of barley is also very important.
1. Smell: The smell of barley should be the smell of fresh and pure straw. High moisture and improper storage will produce a musty smell, resulting in low barley germination rate and difficult processing.
2. Humidity: The barley should feel dry and can slip from the hand. If it sticks to the hand, it means that the barley has high moisture.
3. Color and luster: The appearance of barley should be light yellow straw color, shiny and uniform. If the appearance is green, it means that the harvest is too early.And the barley that has been exposed to rain is gray and dull. The brown tops of the barley kernels may be characteristic of a certain variety (Isaria), but most of them are due to moisture at harvest.
4. Red grain: The red grain endosperm (the endosperm is red) is caused by the infestation of fusarium, and resulting beer gush.
5.Barley husk characteristics: The husk should have fine wrinkles, which indicates that the husk is thin and the extraction rate is high. The thicker the hulkk, the more polyphenols and bitter substances.
6. Barley purity: Barley must not contain impurities, such as weed seeds, sand, stones, etc.
7. Damaged grains: Damaged grains will cause microbiological problems during processing, so they must be removed. Damaged grains mainly appear when harvesting and pests occur.
8. Shape and grain size: The grains should be full and large, and the leaching rate of such grains is high.
9. Uniformity: The proportion of barley grains with abdomen diameter above 2.5mm is higher, so that uniform malt can be obtained.
10. Embryo appearance: The barley harvested in the wet season often has germinated grains, which will cause the barley to germinate unevenly, so the germinated barley has no use value in malting.
11. Insect pests: The most common pest is the beetle. The barley infested by it has obvious moth-eaten places. The moth-eaten barley grains will float to the surface of the water during soaking, which is of no use value.
Barley grading is the most important physical analysis method for barley. It is fast and simple. Barley is divided into four grades through 2.8mm, 2.5mm, and 2.2mm vibrating screens.
All barley grains intercepted on the 2.5mm and 2.8mm sieve surface are Class I barley (also known as whole barley), and all barley grains that pass through the 2.5mm and 2.8mm sieve but are intercepted on the 2.2mm sieve surface are Class II barley. The barley that passes through all the sieve surfaces is deflated barley and is sold as feed.
Content Standard of Class I Barley:
General brewed barley: ≥85%
High-quality brewed barley: ≥90%
Best brewed barley: ≥95%
Standard value of deflated barley content:
Badly selected barley: >4%
Normally brewed barley: 3%-4%
High-quality brewed barley: 2%-3%
Best brewed barley: <2%
In addition to barley, some brewers also add wheat, corn, sorghum and other crops to save money. No matter what type of beer you brew, DEGONG beer brewing equipment always can meet your requirements. If there is any need, please feel free to come to consult.